image via KDA Developement
Certain ingredients are needed to create a truly wonderful place to reside and walkable communities rank among the highest for their livability!
Here are some bullet points from this wonderful article about walkable communites:
- Housing Values are Higher where its Walkable
- Walkable Communities Attract “New Economy” Workers
- Walkable Communities are becoming a Business Relocation Alternative
- Walkable Communities Reduce Commuting Costs
- Walkable Communities Cost the Taxpayer Less
- Walkability Attracts Tourists
- Walkable Communities Can Capture an Emerging “Lifestyle” Retail Market
What’s not to like about those stats!?
image via walklive.org
So what ingredients are needed to create a walkable community?
- Sidewalks, bike lanes, crosswalks – encourages pedestrian and bike travel
- Good, safe, public transportation – reduces car traffic, pollution and noise
- Community services and events – things like farmer’s markets and festivals encourage community participation and local commerce
- Parks & Green spaces – encourages healthy lifestyle, recreation and exercise
- Places for fun! – cafes, local boutiques, community pools – places to gather and socialize strengthens communities
Does your home town have these? If not, consider getting involved in your Community Planning groups and let your voice be heard. Having these elements in your community not only creates a more pleasurable place to live, it raises home values too! If you are wondering how walkable your community is, go here and get your walkability score!
We all deserve a home where we feel safe, happy and enriched by our community. Get involved in your town and make it a better place to live.
Call me if I can help and I’d love to hear more about your hometown!